The holidays are here and as usual droves of people are out shopping for their families and friends. You want to get the most out of this rush. If, unfortunately, you were not prepared this year you should not despair. You can still prepare to make the most out of Christmas and New Year next time around. Here is what you need to do to make sure that when people come out to shop you are ready:
- Make sure that you have enough inventory. The best way to buy inventory is not to wait until manufacturers raise prices next year. Instead, buy during the off-peak season when they are desperate to make sales. Don’t think of it as inventory that is sitting about not making you any money. Think of it instead as an investment that you will cash in at the end of the year.
- Many businesses are unable to buy additional inventory because they do not have space to store it. This is a problem that you can easily get around by renting storage containers. They are cheap and if you choose a facility that has weatherproof containers your inventory should be in good shape at the end of the year when you bring it out for sale.
- Make sure that you have enough employees to serve customers when the time comes. You don’t have to wait until the end of the year to hire. Make deals with several people during the year so that when the time comes they are ready to report for work. Get them uniform too – you want them to look professional and run through the drill with them so that they know exactly what they are supposed to be doing.
- Be prepared to deal with returned items – it happens all the time. Instead of arguing with customers replace their items with a smile. You buy their trust and they will come back to you time and again and not just during the Christmas season.
- Offer discounts where you can.
Lastly, make sure that your business looks festive but professional – everyone is looking to buy items in businesses that look like they are enjoying the festivities. There are professional decorators that you can hire who will do a good job.